Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Vowel/consonant sort and a freebie.

Yesterday we started to learn about vowels. We did a whole group sort of magnetic letters. Then I introduced my students to the “Vowel Bat” song by Shari Sloane and video by Harry Kindergarten. If you have never heard of Harry Kindergarten you should certainly look him up on Youtube. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/user/HarryKindergarten. My kids loved the fact that the song used the Batman symbol. It certainly got their attention. 
So today we worked in small groups to sort the vowels and consonants. I had four groups. Two of the groups work very effectively together and quickly worked to sort the letters. One group did a pretty good job, but I noticed that they needed help forming a strategy about how to do it. The other group might have been a bad combination. I think there was too many strong personalities as they did not get much accomplished and seemed to have trouble deciding who would do what so no one was sure what to do. Here are some pictures of the students working and what some of them accomplished.





Tomorrow the students will be completing a vowel/consonant sort on their own (with a sub as I will be observing another teacher). I have included this sort as a freebie. 
  Enjoy!


~Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment